Bring a Friend Day is Today!!
Teams of 2
50 Calorie Bike
50 Jumping Lunges
Post team names and scores to comments.
Find your workout buddy! You go, I go style. Work hard when its your turn!
Congrats to the 2018 October Member of the Month, Emily! Find out more about Emily below…
1. How long have you been doing CrossFit for? How did you get started?
I started crossfit 6 years ago. Once Tillman was a year old and Grady was spending one morning a week in preschool, I was looking for something fun and different. Before kids and during pregnancy I was taking Russian kettlebell classes which I loved and crossfit seemed like the closest to those that I was going to find. I started in Marlborough one day a week and then moved to Union when it opened. I was off and on until the last two years and now that the boys are both in school I am able to go 5-6 days a week primarily to the 12:30 class.
2. What is your best or favorite memory at TILT?
So many good memories. I think my favorite thing about Tilt is watching everyone work so hard on whatever their goals are. Everyone has different goals when they walk through the door and seeing people ask for and receive support from the community and motivate themselves to achieve them is so cool.
3. What does a day in the life of Emily look like?
A day in the life… thrilling! Exciting! 😉 I get up around 4am most mornings and have coffee while I get organized for the day. I am in awe of the dedicated 5:30am class because even though I am up I am not functioning on a high level. The boys get up at 6am, eat all the food and then head to school. I work as a manicurist at my small studio in Sudbury until I hit the gym for the 12:30 class. Then its back to work until the boys get home around 4pm. After school activities take us to dinner and then we play a lot of board games and read and then sleep. Repeat.
4. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I love food so this is very hard… If I could only eat:
Breakfast food it would be a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on an everything bagel
Lunch food it would be a loaded Italian sub
Dinner food it would be steak
Snack/survival food would be plantain chips… so I guess plantain chips for the win
5. Tell us a little bit about your Spartan races.. how many this past year? What do you like about the races?
Spartan is a new love of mine. Since running my first race last June with the Tilt Team I have run 9 races. They are so fun and the community is awesome. I have been lucky enough to travel to some places that I had never been. I love the courses that are in the mountains because you have the race obstacles but also the added challenge of just beating the terrain. My dad comes to all my races with me and has even set a goal of running a sprint this year. I love being able to spend that QT with him since my family is all spread out. It also makes me excited to share these types of experiences with my boys soon. Obstacle course racing has also given me solid proof that this functional fitness theory of crossfit actually works 🙂 I have relied on Tilt programming for most of my training, adding some extra running and grip work in a few times a week. This coming year my goal is to race more often and qualify for the world championships again.
6. Tell us 3 things we might not know about you..
I’m not that interesting…
1. I used to be a foster parent for the MSPCA in Baltimore with the job of plumping up newborn kittens and puppies to a certain weight so they could be adopted. I got quite the reputation due to my quick turn around time… my secret was lots of food and snuggles.
2. I am pretty knowledgeable about cars and can fix most of my own car issues. Growing up my siblings and I were responsible for our own car maintenance plus I had big dreams of rebuilding a Jeep CJ5 in highschool. The first one I bought is about half way done and still in my parents’ garage… but someday. I like knowing that I could figure things out if I had car trouble but love my AAA membership and use it without hesitation.
3. I actually do not like running.